Legal & Contracts Workshop for Start Ups, Freelancers & SME’s
This workshop will cover all the key contract and legal issues which freelancers and SME’s face in the Creative and Digital sector. It will help you identify what contracts you need, provide tips on negotiating terms and help you to avoid the big risk areas.
**THIS WORKSHOP HAS BEEN POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE**
We will cover the best way to collaborate and work with other freelancers and give you tips on how to agree reasonable terms with your clients. The talk will also provide guidance on GDPR and relevant data legislation, best practice policies, and the impact of the new IR35 legislation for freelancers who operate via a personal service company, and their clients.
The workshop will be run by Bristol Media member and lawyer, Rebecca Steer, from Steer and Co. All attendees are welcome to a free of charge follow-up call on any specific contract or legal question.
This legal workshop is recommended for Freelancers, start-ups, existing SME’s, and anyone involved in either running or setting up a small-medium sized business in the Creative, Digital and Tech sectors.
Where & when
This workshop will be held between 3-5pm on Tuesday 21st April at Zone, The Brew House, Tower Hill, Bristol BS2 0EQ. Tickets are £25 +VAT for Bristol Media members, £40 +VAT otherwise. Places are limited. Tea/coffee will be provided.
- What is the best trading entity for your business? A comparison of the options
- IR35 – impact for freelancers and businesses which engage freelancers
- What key contracts and policies should a freelancer/business have in place?
- Client and Supplier terms and conditions;
- Employment contracts – including freelancer contracts;
- Internal policies and best practice re Data Protection, NDA's, Confidential Information and security.
- Brief review of relevant GDPR provisions
- Working on bigger collaborative projects with other freelancers
- Other key legal considerations:
- Use of data and data protection obligations;
- Trademarks, intellectual property and protecting your business identity and brand;
- Using agents to develop business opportunities;
- Outsourcing and subcontracting work;
- Statutory and consumer obligations on your business;
- Liability and insurance;
- Professional and trade groups.
- How to get paid and avoid payment disputes and bad debts, plus tips on how to win a legal dispute
- Typical issues affecting freelancers in the Creative, Digital and Tech sectors.
There will be a Q&A after the session, plus time to chat with Rebecca directly if you’d like to discuss specific issues affecting your business.
About Rebecca Steer
A specialist commercial, media and technology lawyer with considerable in-house counsel and private practice experience, Rebecca Steer is a leading expert for Technology, IP and Media and is ranked as one of the top 10 lawyers in Bristol and the South West for IT and IP.