UK tech continues to expand at faster rate than wider economy according to Tech Nation Report 2018
Tech Nation (formerly Tech City UK) have released their comprehensive annual report on the state of UK tech. And here are some of the headlines:
- Tech expanding 2.6x faster than the rest of the UK economy
- Digital tech sector worth nearly £184bn to UK economy, up from £170bn in 2016
- The UK’s digital suburbs and tech towns are booming, with 16 towns showing a higher proportion of digital tech employment than the UK average
- Diversity in digital tech on improving trend: figures show more black, Asian and ethnic minority workers employed in tech than across the UK in general (15% v 10%)
- 72% of UK digital tech workers are over 35, in line with the whole UK workforce
- London ranks as second most connected place for tech on planet, after Silicon Valley
- London beats Silicon Valley when it comes to proportion of overseas customers
- Berlin is the only other European city in the top 10 list of global ecosystems
The online report includes in-depth data visualisations for exploring the digital tech sector in all parts of the UK, as well as recommendations for tech businesses, policymakers and corporates for further accelerating the growth of UK tech.
They’ve worked with data partners including Beauhurst, PitchBook, Meetup, Github, Eventbrite, Startup Genome, Streetbees and the ONS to look at the UK digital tech sector’s international competitiveness, digital businesses, jobs and skills,and connectedness and collaboration, as well as community perceptions based on a 3,428 survey responses from the UK tech community.
Check out what people are saying and join the conversation at #WeAreTechNation
Explore more of the findings on UK tech at technation.io/report2018