Software Engineer | Potato
Role categories: Digital / Interactive
- Rate/Salary: £33,500?£46,000 per annum depending on experience.
- Location: Bristol
- Type: permanent
- Starting date: ASAP
- Expires: 08/03/2020
We're currently on the lookout for a talented Python software engineer to join us in our (pretty awesome) Bristol studio.
So if you think you’ve got what it takes to build digital products and services that break new ground for some of the biggest brands on the planet, we can’t wait to hear from you.
About the role
At Potato, best in class software development and human-centred design are at the heart of everything we do. We’re a talented bunch of problem solvers who are committed to finding a better way; delivering smarter products that provide more satisfying experiences and more valuable outcomes for our clients and their users. Our clients include Google, Mozilla, RBS, Cambridge Audio, and the BBC.
Most of our products are web-based and use Python (and occasionally Node) on the server, most often Django on Google App Engine (sometimes Firebase, AWS, or Azure). We use a mix of relational and non-relational databases, and other cloud services. We aim to strike a balance between leveraging our existing strengths and exploring new tech.
As part of one of our friendly, supportive, proactive Agile product teams, you’ll be helping craft and deliver a complex, highly successful automated sales platform, serving a global customer base using the latest Google technologies. You will help us make sound architectural decisions and execute the delivery of excellent, reliable, secure, and maintainable software, meeting user and stakeholder needs and timelines.
We expect software engineers at Potato to be able to find creative solutions to technical problems and user needs, whilst also finding opportunities to optimise and simplify software. For this role, we’re looking for someone capable of making significant contributions to projects and work with the team to produce excellent software, striking the right balance between perfection and delivery.
We’re looking for someone who writes great code, but also enjoys collaborating with other disciplines in the product team to devise creative solutions to the users’ needs. For this role, you must have an appreciation of the full web stack, as well as an appreciation of current trends in both back end and front end web technologies.
Your experience and skills
You must have:
- Experience building for the web using Python, building and architecting solutions independently
- Experience with cloud platforms such as Google App Engine, AWS or Azure
- An understanding of both relational and non-relational databases
- An appreciation of cross-discipline concerns such as security, accessibility, scalability and performance
- Experience in back end testing strategies and maintaining a high level of quality and test coverage throughout your work
- Confidence in planning and estimating your workload during a project lifecycle
- Experience creating secure and well-designed APIs
- Experience building for scale: high traffic, big data, large feature sets
- An understanding of agile and lean practices
- Knowledge of testing, QA tools and methodologies
Working shoulder-to-shoulder with some of the most talented software engineers, designers, coaches, and product leads in town, we’ll give you the freedom to manage your own work and trust you to get things done. Want to work from home occasionally? Go for it. Need to unwind with a game of pool or some studio dog cuddles? All good. Ultimately, we just want to make sure that you have everything you need to help us build the best products possible.
You’ll have many opportunities for growth and learning: collaboration within teams, rotation to different products, experimentation on internal tools, involvement in new business and pitching, our Potato Talks events, mentorship, training courses, and conferences.
Perks * These benefits kick in after the initial 3 month probation period.
* These benefits kick in after the initial 3 month probation period.
Other jobs at Potato
£46,000–£63,000 per annum depending on experience. We're currently on the lookout for a talented software engineer to join us in our...