Head of Copy | Stratton Craig
Role categories: PR and Communications
- Rate/Salary: Competitive salary + bonus
- Location: Bristol
- Type: permanent
- Starting date: ASAP
- Expires: 31/08/2019
Stratton Craig Ltd – www.strattoncraig.com
Head of Copy
About Stratton Craig
We understand how words can shape emotion and inspire action. For over 30 years, our copywriting services have helped UK and global blue chip organisations develop distinctive brand voices and deliver engaging copy across all their channels. Working from our offices in Bristol and London, our projects see clients connect with new audiences, launch new products and open new markets and channels.
Right now, we’re looking for a highly experienced Head of Copy to lead our team of writers and work with our planners and account managers. Your focus – to help drive Stratton Craig in our new phase of growth and development, and as such you’ll be reporting directly into our CEO.
You’ll have a passionate belief in the power of words and the skillset to turn that love into exceptional copy. But your talents don’t end there. Your strategic mind and communication skills will enable you to readily work with clients, including very senior stakeholders. You’ll naturally understand business and communication goals, but more importantly you can translate your knowledge into strategic and well-written copy that will inspire clients and their audiences. You’ll have a visible passion for words. As a real copy evangelist, you’ll be eager to write articles, drive workshops and speak at industry gatherings. And as a natural leader, you can instill your vision across your teams and their work.
As for experience and skills, you’ll need at least 10 years’ writing experience, of which five will have seen you in a leadership role. An eye for detail and strong grammatical skills will go hand-in-hand with your more creative copy talents. Your leadership skills enable you to enthuse, motivate and shape your team and people around you. This is a key appointment and demands someone with genuine energy and drive.
What we value
- Passion: for words, communication and what we do.
- Spirit: taking pride, working together as a team, caring and giving a damn.
- Commitment: to accuracy, quality and delivering what we promise.
- Curiosity: the ability to ask questions, challenge assumptions, imagine and explore.
What you’ll be
- A brilliant writer, a great team leader and a persuasive speaker
- Energetic, passionate, proactive, visionary with a desire to solve our clients’ communications problems
- Professional, well-mannered and friendly, with a love for face?to-face meetings, even with the most demanding of clients
- Someone who thrives on responsibility / accountability and working in a busy environment
- Detail-oriented, organised, well-read, well-researched and passionate about measuring the impact communications can have
- Strong presentation skills
What you’ll be doing
Your role will cover the following areas of focus and responsibility: Inspiration, Team coaching and management, Output oversight, Writing.
Inspiration – new and existing clients
- Crafting the right words and delivering ideas that inspire existing and new clients to work with Stratton Craig
- Demonstrating the power of written communication using your words, our words and great examples from outside our business
- Attending face-to-face client meetings – for new business purposes, to take a brief, present work or lead planning / project cycles with the client services team and content strategists
- Attending networking events as and when required, including speaking if the opportunity arises
Team Coaching and Management
- Managing and coaching the writers on technical writing skills, helping them learn and improve, conducting performance appraisals on an annual basis
- Working with the client services team to match the right work to the right writers
- Reviewing, meeting and selecting new writers to be part of our talent pool
- Maintaining contact and constantly developing our network of brilliant writers
- Reviewing and assessing the writing skills we need to ensure we are fit for the future
- Coaching our writers to identify, share and adapt to trends in written communications (and communications more generally), with a view to up-skilling them and the Stratton Craig offering
- Attending regular team meetings, contributing new ideas and helping to build on Stratton Craig’s reputation as a leading copywriting and language consultancy
- Ensuring exacting standards of output across the business, at all times
- Briefing and overseeing a team of writers to ensure output is of the highest quality
- Reviewing / editing work before the client sees it to ensure it is strategically and technically sound, and/or delivering constructive feedback to writers to ensure we exceed expectations
- Writing and producing work for the business – ranging from reports and whitepapers to digital or ecommerce copy
- Leading more conceptual or strategic writing workstreams, like developing tone of voice guidelines and building copy platforms / briefs
- Writing thought-provoking pieces for strattoncraig.com, raising the company profile and outing the expertise of our writers
The small print
The small print
Other jobs at Stratton Craig
The right words can build understanding, inspire trust and create growth. Brands that find and use those words thrive. From...
Rate/salary: Competitive salary + bonus