Head Of Business Development, Potato
Function: Business Development Director
Role categories: Digital / Interactive, Marketing, Sales
- Rate/Salary: Salary dependent on experience
- Location: Bristol
- Starting date: ASAP
- Expires: 25/05/2019
We need a talented and experienced Head of Business Development, with a proven track record of building a client portfolio within a product development studio, agency or start-up environment.
This role is part of our Bristol Leadership Team, alongside our Head of Product Delivery, Head of Engineering, and Head of Product Design. Our studio leadership teams are collectively responsible for the success and health of the studio, and accountable for the delivery of a set of holistic OKRs across Commercial, P&L, Team Health and Culture, Project Health, Client Relationship, and Business Development.
A passionate and driven individual, you will lead our Business Development efforts leveraging our unique client offering and experience to expand our reach to like-minded companies who are thinking ambitiously about their digital product development plans. The role will encompass both new lead generation and growing existing accounts alongside your peers in the leadership team where you will play a crucial role in the overall leadership and future direction of the agency.
You will be reporting into Potato Group, comprised of the Potato CEO, Group Commercial Director, and CFO.
You will have a strong existing network in the West region and will be able to use your network to identify “areas of attack” (sectors and products for Potato to explore/invest in) and grow our client portfolio.
As we’re a product development agency, we want you to be able to understand our vision, differentiators and capabilities. You should strive to work with purposeful and mission-driven companies and projects. You should be able to talk to that by leading and coordinating pitch teams or coordinating responses to RFPs and briefs. You’ll already be attending relevant events and conferences to build your network and be up-to-date with industry needs.
You’ll have experience instilling a client service ethos in project teams and upskilling colleagues in account management best practice. You should be adept at raising awareness, improving reputation and recommendation of the brands you’ve worked with before. Using PR & Marketing efforts to drive lead generation should be second nature, including events and networking and thought leadership.
You must have:
- Demonstrable experience winning work in the West region and extremely strong pipeline management skills
- Examples of building credible, trusted, sustainable relationships at a senior level within organisations
- Strong presentation skills and ability to manage all stages of the business development cycle
- Examples of where you built and nurtured valuable relationships with budget holders and stakeholders that resulted in recurring relationships
- An outcomes-focused and consultative selling approach; with case studies of how you provided and measured value
- A strong understanding in, experience of, and advocate of Lean Startup and Agile foundational frameworks for iterative product development
- A strong account management ethos to ensure hard won business is maintained and grown
- A strong understanding of the technical/digital landscape, excellent technical knowledge and a thorough understanding of trends in design and technology
- A high degree of entrepreneurial spirit and be capable of thinking on your feet and being flexible commercially
- Strong emotional intelligence, empathy and leadership capability
- Humility, straightforwardness and high collaboration skills. This will embody our culture and values
- Strong desire to share accountability and work as a peer in a collective leadership team structure
- Passion for excellence and attention to detail, self-motivated, proactive, enthusiastic and driven with the ability to motivate others
- Comfort interfacing between teams (including engineering, designers, strategists, delivery managers and client stakeholders)