Lead User Experience Designer, UK Hydrographic Office
Function: UX/.User Experience Consultant
Role categories: Design and Branding
- Rate/Salary: £40,329
- Location: Somerset
- Type: permanent
- Starting date: ASAP
- Expires: 26/03/2019
The United Kingdom Hydrographic Office (UKHO) is a great place in which to explore your career potential. Providing high quality marine geospatial information and data to the seafaring industries, our products are used to navigate the waters safely – ultimately enabling a multitude of clients to achieve optimum results and drive their organisations’ profitability.
When you join UKHO, you can expect more than just a job, you can expect career-defining projects and an exceptional work/life balance. From a brand new office building that provides a comfortable work environment to flexitime, flexible working, the opportunities open to you at UKHO are hard to beat.
Our person- centred approach means that understand the importance of developing and supporting our employees to progress within their careers. We therefore offer excellent opportunities to develop your skill set through tailored learning and development, as well as access to courses or conferences.
We are looking for a Lead User Experience Designer to join our Customer team and lead a brand new UX practice within state of the art facilities. You will play an integral role in the shaping and forming practice, as well as its interaction within the business. Not only does this role offer autonomy and the chance to positively impact the organisation, you will also benefit from our supportive, one team approach. It will also offer you the chance to coach, as well as develop your own, small team.
The ability to build effective working relationships with a variety of stakeholders and meet customer needs is vital to this role, as it will enable you to deliver enjoyable interfaces based on user stories. A strong technical knowledge of UX deliverables will also enable you to provide creative solutions and establish appropriate design practices for the UKHO.
The successful candidate will be assessed on the following experience, skills and behaviours both at application:
- Proven experience as a User Experience Designer (or similar role) with a strong portfolio and experience of Software Development processes and procedures.
- Practitioner level in visual design tools – e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch. Practitioner level in wirefaming and prototyping tools (e.g. UXPin, Balsamiq, Axxure).
- Practitioner level skills in user testing. Practitioner level skills in UX deliverables – e.g. storyboards, user flows, process flows and site maps.
- Can work collaboratively within a group, actively networking with others and engaging in varying types of feedback choosing the appropriate time and ensuring the discussion sticks.
- Skilled problem solver who can provide alternative solutions and resolve complex queries. Acts to ensure user requirements are met and be the voice of the user.
The above criteria will also be assessed at interview, along with the following:
- Ability present your designs and sell solutions to various stakeholders including senior management.
- Ability to facilitate discussion and ensure alternative views or approaches are considered.
To join us, please get in touch and send a copy of your CV, detailing how you meet the above requirements of this job to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We also recommend visiting our website at https://www.admiralty.co.uk/ukho/Work-for-UKHO and viewing the job information sheet for this vacancy. The deadline for applications is 26 March 2019.
Further information about the civil service profiles (the recruitment framework used by the UKHO) can be accessed at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/success-profiles.
Against the backdrop of a friendly and progressive team who want to help you achieve your ambitions, this is a career move that you won’t regret.
To find out more about the UKHO, please visit: