Small Business Start Up Work Shop
Where: Goldbrick House, Park Street, Bristol, BS1 5PB
When: 29 September 2010 4:00pm to 7:00pm
Several of our Preferred Suppliers have let us know that they have been taking calls from members wanting advice about setting up a small business. So we have organised this Small Business Start Up Workshop with lawyer Rebecca Steer from Steer&Co, Matthew Torrible from Quartz Insurance and Steve Coombe from Smith & Williamson which will answer all your queries on Insurance, Law, Tax, VAT and Accountancy.
The event will take place in The Loft at Goldbrick House on Wednesday 29 September 2010 from 1600 – 1800. The Advisors will then be available for another hour to answer any questions you may have on a one to one basis.
Who should attend?
Freelancers, existing small medium enterprises and anyone thinking about or involved in setting up or running a small medium sized enterprise.
The workshop will cover:
- Selecting your contracting legal entity (sole trader, partnership, company) and personal liability under each possible option;
- Key contracts to have in place for your business;
- Terms and conditions of trade with your clients and customers;
- Terms and conditions of trade with your suppliers, freelancers and contractors;
- Employment contracts;
- Key legal considerations when running a small enterprise:
- Use of data and data protection obligations;
- Trademarks and brands;
- Use of agents;
- Liability and insurance;
- Professional and trade groups;
- Statutory and consumer obligations;
- How to protect yourself from bad/late paying clients and customers;
- Tips to avoid legal disputes (and help you to win if you are involved in a dispute)
- The Business Insurance Basics ??? business, motor & personal protections
- A typical business insurance ??? property, liability, business interruption, transit
- What insurance must I buy and what insurance should I buy
- Where to buy insurance and have I got the best price
- Making an insurance claim and the loss adjuster
- Pitfalls and bear traps
- Setting up a Company
- Companies House ??? what is it?
- Forming a company ??? what are directors and shareholders;
- Filing documents ??? annual accounts and annual returns, typical deadlines and penalties;
- Registration thresholds;
- What is involved ??? VAT100s, frequency, deadlines and payment dates;
- Online services;
- Corporation tax – What is it?
- Payment and submission deadlines, annual corporation tax returns;
- Remuneration options as a director/ shareholder
There will then be an open Question and Answer session followed by time to talk to each speaker individually about specific issues affecting your business.
There are limited places so this event is open to Bristol Media members only. To book your place please email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
Entry Cost: 0
Posted by: Caroline Marshall | 30-08-2010
Contact the event organiser: email@example.com