Introduction To Leadership For Filmmakers: One Day Course
Where: M Shed, Princes Wharf, Wapping Rd, Bristol, BS1 4RN
When: 09 October 2019 10:30am to 4:30pm
This course is supported by the ScreenSkills Film Skills Fund with contributions from UK film productions. ScreenSkills is the industry-led skills body for the UK’s screen industries.
It has been developed and delivered in assocation with Taylor Kerek and Bristol UNESCO City of Film.
“Introduction To Leadership for Filmmakers” aims to tackle the lack of structured leadership and management training within the film industry, where many new leaders are expected to ‘pick it up on the job’. Much of the available training is too generic for those in the film sector, without an understanding of the industry’s context and unique characteristics.
This one day practical leadership course, specifically for anyone in the film industry who is in any sort of leadership role or those would like to move into a more managerial position, will help you consider your leadership skills beforehand, take you through key skills and enrole you into a small group of peers to offer support afterwards.
Delegates will learn how to:
• Motivate and inspire
• Build work relationships and trust
• Identify and use different leadership styles in different contexts
• Identify when a particular style is working and when it is not
• Delegate effectively
• Inspire creativity
• Lead without having line management authority
• Identify characteristics of good leaders
• Ensure financial accountability
• Inspire collaboration
• Develop coaching skills where the leader acts as a supportive catalyst
• Develop effective time management and doing what is needed at the right time
The course focuses on the development of practical leadership and team-building skills, focusing on:
- How to identify which roles are required and ensure clarity in each team member’s role
- How to enable more junior staff to learn to act in more senior roles in a safe and supportive environment
- Establishing clear lines of responsibility and communication
- How to develop agile teams
- How to pull people with you rather than pushing through hierarchy
- How to ask open questions
- How to discover how team members are feeling
- How to give feedback (positive before negative) and to take responsibility for its implementation
- How to encourage and grow creative people without stifling creativity through process
- Development of catalytic questioning such as ‘What is stopping you?”
- How to be accessible but without doing another team-members work for them
- How to ask: “So what are you going to do now?” questions
- How to confront and deal with bad behaviour and explain the impact of this behaviour on the team
Before the course, delegates will complete a 360 feedback review of their leadership skills. During the course they will take part in group sessions on leadership and teambuilding skills, which will be will tested through Action Learning Set Case Studies with small groups of peers. The skills learned on the course will be developed into a personal development plan to implement these skills back in the workplace following on from a personal assessment that benchmarks where you are now, where you want to be and what you need to do to get there. Quarterly follow up sessions with Action Learning Set peers plus consultations with the trainer for a year after the course will ensure sustainability of the skills implementation on an ongoing basis.
Who is the course for?
The course is aimed at film industry professionals who have new leadership responsibilities or are looking to develop their skills to take on more senior leadership roles. This may include people in the following types of roles: Producers, Senior Producers and Executive Producers, Line Producers, Assistant Directors, Production Designers, Costume Designers, Hair and Make-Up designers, Construction Managers, Cinematographers, Post-production Supervisors, Bookings Coordinators and Visual Effects Producers.
Iain Tweedale has over 30 years experience in the media and communications sector with senior leadership and management roles in the BBC and IBM. He has also worked at Director level in creative industries start-ups and has helped small companies grow into medium sized companies providing the skills to enable change management and leadership through this process of transformation. He has built and led teams, coached and mentored staff and enabled succession planning throughout his career. He is now regularly engaged as a freelance trainer with the BBC Academy.
Full price = £25 + booking fee
Reduced price = £15 + booking fee
A reduced rate will be offered to those on benefits or with carer obligations to children or adults.
“Introduction To Leadership for Filmmakers” has been funded by ScreenSkills in assocation with Taylor Kerek and Bristol UNESCO City of Film. Full attendance cost without these subsidies would be £125.
How can you apply to attend?
As places for this course are limited, attendance applications are invited here. We will reply via email to confirm places and request payment before the course.
See also: Course listing on screenskills.com
Entry Cost: £25 (£15 reduced price)
Posted by: Iain | 01-10-2019
Contact the event organiser: email@example.com