This workshop addresses the legal and accountancy issues faced by freelancers and SMEs and those thinking of starting a small business.
The workshop takes place on Monday 23rd March from 4-6pm at Goldbrick House and will be run by lawyer Rebecca Steer from Steer and Co and accountant Steve Coombe from Burnside Chartered Accountants. The cost is £35+VAT for Bristol Media members and £70+VAT for non-members. To book your place email Lynda@bristolmedia.co.uk
1. What is the best trading entity for your business? A comparison of sole trader, partnership and company options;
2. What key contracts should a business have in place?
- Shareholders Agreements/Partnership Agreements;
- Customer and client terms and conditions;
- Supplier terms and conditions;
- Freelancers and Consultants contracts;
- Employment contracts;
3. What are your business objectives/goals? How should you prepare your business from a legal perspective to achieve these goals?
4. Taking on staff and freelance consultants – what should you do?
5. Key legal considerations when running a small enterprise:
- Use of data and data protection obligations
- Trademarks and protecting your business identity and brand
- Intellectual property rights and protecting your business assets
- Marketing your business and the use of social media
- Using agents to develop business opportunities
- Outsourcing work and subcontracting work
- Statutory and consumer obligations on your business
- Liability and insurance
- Professional and trade groups
6. How to get paid and avoid payment disputes and bad debts.
7. Tips to avoid legal disputes (and help you to win if you are involved in a dispute).
8. Preparing your business for sale or acquisition.
1. Setting up a company;
2. Setting up in business as a sole trader or partnership;
3. Companies House – what is it?
4. Forming a company – what are directors and shareholders?
5. Filing documents – annual accounts and annual returns, typical deadlines and penalties.
- Registration thresholds
- What is involved – VAT100s, frequency, deadlines and payment dates
- Online services
- Flat Rate Scheme
- Cash accounting
- The Mini One Stop Shop (MOSS)
7. Corporation tax
- What is it
- Payment and submission deadlines, annual corporation tax returns
8. Remuneration options as a director/ shareholder
9. Remuneration as a sole trader
10. Remuneration to staff/PAYE obligations
11. Tips on how to grow your business
12. Considerations if you intend to sell your business in due course
13. A summary of the key events in a business year from an accountancy/compliance perspective – corporation tax payment dates, VAT returns, PAYE reporting etc.
To finish there will be an open Q&A plus time afterwards to talk to each speaker individually about specific issues affecting your business.
To book your place email firstname.lastname@example.org